Saturday, November 05, 2011

Hey Buddy, Got a Quarter?

I'm closing in on the last few thousand words of my WIP.  It's a little tale about a trio of dogs with an overactive knack for hunting, a well-liked family hiding a dark secret, and a deadly evil breeding in the forest out side of a town named Shadeland.  I'm leaning toward the title Predatory Animals.

I plan on letting the story simmer for about a month before I start the second draft.  After that I'll let my wife read it first, then a hand full of beta readers.  But that might be as far as it goes.

Why?  Do I think it's terrible story that should never see the light of day?

No, not as of yet at least.  My opinion might change after the rewrite, but we'll have to see.

The real problem is funding.  I like very much being an indie writer.  I enjoy the freedom and control it brings.  I'm not opposed to the traditional route.  If I was offered a fat contract I'd most likely jump at the opportunity.  I'm just a bit disenchanted by the traditional writing world right now, ranging from the elitist gatekeeper attitude to their obtuse stance on e-book pricing and royalties.  I know there are a lot of indie writers out there making good money.  I'm just not one of them right now.

I want very much to self-publish my next novel, along with a collection of short stories, but I don't have the scratch to get it done.  Without bumming you too much I'll tell you what I'm up against.  My wife's job is being outsourced in about ten days.  She is also a full time nursing student, but won't be out of school for another year and a half.  My job has decided to cut my hours to keep from paying me benefits.  Things are starting to get tight.

With my first book, Guarding the Healer, I used some money from our tax return, but that can't happen this year.  I was sort of hoping that Guarding the Healer would earn enough to pay for the next book, but my sales have been less than stellar.

I'm starting to bum myself out so I'll hurry up and get to the point.

I'm thinking trying a program known as Kickstarter.  It's a nice little program where you take your ideas to the public and they can choose to fund your project, usually for some kind of token gift.  Yes, it's a little like panhandling, but in this economy, can you blame a guy.

I have some mixed feeling about this path, but this may be the only way I can self-pub this book.  It's my understanding (and I believe it to be true) that if you want to be a lucrative indie author you need to have as many works out as possible to expand your virtual shelf space.  If I'm ever to make enough money writing to quit the day job then I have to get more books out.

I know what you're thinking.  Why not learn to create my own covers and format my own books?

I could do that, I guess, if I wasn't working full time and chasing toddlers around my house.  Besides, I want my books to look their best, and sometime you should know your limitation and just call in the professionals.

I don't know.  I wish it wasn't so hard.  I wish it was enough just to write a good book.  Maybe it still is.

No comments: